Tuesday 17 September 2019

Why naming private parts in form of verbal abuse is okay but talking about them in general a big taboo?


“One day when I was very young, I was going somewhere outside wearing frock, my mother stopped me and said that you are a boy and you shouldn’t be wearing these clothes. They are supposed to be worn by girls”

The session on ‘physical changes during adolescence’ with the participants of Government School, Dwarka began with Ungli Dance. The participants enjoyed it so much that almost everyone wanted to volunteer to do the energizer! After a brief introduction on what is about to happen for next 2 hours, the participants were divided into groups and were invited to discuss on ‘when did they first come to know whether they are boy or a girl?’

‘I went to a market along with my dad. I really loved the doll and asked my father to buy it for me, my father said that girls play with dolls and not boys. I didn’t understand ‘what is the relation between playing with the doll and me being a boy
‘I came to know that I am a boy because of my private parts. It didn’t really made any difference’
‘My neighbors used to call me Raju, because of the name I came to know that I am a boy. I felt very happy because I am a boy’


‘I was wearing clothes that girls wear. My aunt laughed at my face and taunted me that are you a girl that you are wearing this?’
‘Because of the body changes that I am having and also because my friends said do. It hardly matters’
‘My father addresses me as beta – a connotation used for boys, that’s how I came to know that I am a boy. I couldn’t really understand because sometimes he uses some nicknames and sometimes he calls me beta’


Most of the participants were either very happy to say it out aloud that they are boy or shrugged that it didn’t really matter. On asking about their reaction, the simple answer was ‘boys can do whatever they feel like, we don’t have to ask, can roam around and fun. No one stops them and they are strong so it’s cool to be a boy’


In the body map activity, the participants were grouped into 6 where they were asked to construct body diagram with all the body parts drawn and discuss questions regarding physical changes –


Good things about growing up-
We grow in height, voice changes, chest broadens, we become more smart
We grow beard and mustache that makes us look manly and handsome.


Bad things about growing up-
Hairs grow all over the body, pimples on the face
Hairs on penis, itching and boils
Thoughts like what if my penis doesn’t grow or it remain small hover into our minds

Challenges we face during puberty-
We develop negative thoughts, we engage in all sort of bad things, and act on it too
We get into trouble, make comments on girls and harass them. Even if some of us doesn’t want to but we can’t really stop them.
We have to get married, I don’t wanna get married because I don’t want to take responsibilities.

Post this discussion, with the help of chart paper we engaged on what is adolescence, what are the different physical changes that happen in girls and boys, how these changes affect us and why it is important to have conversations on the same.

It was weird that they knew the name of the private parts of both girls and boys through the verbal abuses they use frequently and not the actual names. For few moments, there was dead silence because for the participants the use of these names is for abuses and have no other relevance. They were shocked to say the least but once the idea that talking about private parts is as okay as talking about other parts of the body, they seem to understand. This makes me wonder how it is easier in our society to let young and old men use verbal abuses that comprises of private parts or abuse of them but the moment you talk about them with respect to body- you come under the radar of morality and right or wrong! This duplicity of behavior and mindset is what leading our young children to the path of violence or acceptance of the same as normal behavior. This needs to change and the change has to begin at very early age for constructing a society that aims for gender equity and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment