Thursday 9 May 2019

Engaging with the adolescents on the issues of 'Body image and peer pressure'


“I am not feeling okay because why would he think so low about me?”


This idea that I don’t look good enough, I need to change myself to fit in so that people accept me – where is this exactly coming from? Granted we see television, hear from people around us, our peers but this feeling that the others might be thinking that my body is not perfect, I am too fat or too thin and so on being crowding you can be devastating and dangerous. How do we decide which size of waist is perfect, or having six pack abs means you are handsome, or being fair makes you beautiful – these messages comes from society- from us, so it’s important to have these conversations to debunk the idea of ‘beauty’.

The session on ‘Body Image and Peer Pressure’ with the second set of adolescent boys began with the activity ‘My friend thinks what about my body?’ 



‘My hairs are dirty and face is not good’

‘Why I don’t grow taller?’

‘He must be thinking that I am too fat and I look older than my age’

‘He must be thinking that I am ugly, my hairs are dull, doesn’t shine and I am dark skinned’

‘That I am slim and handsome’

‘My hairs are bad, I have pimples, have dark skin and worst in studies’




‘He must be thinking that my eyes are disoriented, black face, and that I am not his friend’

‘That I am short, very thin and have rumpled hairs’

‘He must be thinking that my penis is small and god knows what all!’

‘That I am ugly, have hairs like bird’s nest and dwarf’

‘That I am very fat, dirty hairs, must have put up colors in hairs and face is also fat’




On asking, how did they feel while writing about their partner’s perception about their body?-

‘If what I have written is true that it pisses me off and I would want to hit him’

‘It feels bad to write this, makes me feel as if I am ugly!’

‘Is he actually thinking what I have written?’



These sharing indicate strong body image issues with the participants because they all wrote negative things about their body in light of what their partners would be thinking- this may or mayn’t be true. This is deep down in them that they don’t look good, there is something wrong or missing in them and hence it’s more about one’s own perception! As the word itself says it’s an image or perception and that’s not a reality. 



Post this; the participants were divided into groups of 4 where they were asked to engage on certain questions related to perfect body of boy and girl-

Perfect boy- Must have good face, good hairs, fit body, broad chest, heavy muscles, good height, six pack abs, fair, handsome, body builder, and shaped beard. He should be like an actor (name not mentioned)



Perfect girl- Beautiful, long hairs, must have clear face, no pimples, sexy, hot, fair, cultured, good height, slim waist, charming face, chikni, heavy bust, perfect figure, pleasant smile and fit body. She should be like a princess.



From where did you learn about this? – Television, advertisements and films.

‘I have been mocked because of my weight – I was told that I occupy too much of seat and am too fat’

‘People just shout fat, mota and go away!’

‘I have been mocked about my height that I am too short’

‘I don’t think my body is perfect, I wish to go to gym and build my body, have six pack abs to look presentable’

‘I wish to increase my height’

‘I did dieting to lose weight and do some exercise’


This was followed by sharing the story of a boy who engaged in gyming at very early age and end up risking his life to build his body. The story was told in step by step in order to cover the vast spectrum that led to him doing what he did – so how did he get the notion of having a perfect body – influenced by television then included in his life, because of his physique he attracted lot of attention, many people became his friends, girls were hovering around! He was riding high on popularity and how his life goal became restricted to having a perfect body! This changing of lifestyle in such extreme measure moved him towards his almost death. Through this story and all these observations, the concept of body image was explained. The boys who are usually very loud and noisy, were scared, some of them had tears and pain was visible on the faces because of the story.

In the next part of the session, we engaged in the game of ‘yes’ and ‘no’ for certain statements to understand peer relationships. They have lied to their parents, bunked classes, indulged into fights, made girlfriend, brought new clothes, made friends or ignored people because of their friends! Then the session was opened to the participants to share stories where they felt pressured by their friends to do something that they didn’t wish to do.


‘There is this boy in our class, very obedient and studious – one day he was absent from the class. He went with his friend to some bridge in Palam. After that he kept disappearing from the class. The teacher was annoyed so one day when he came, teacher scolded him and asked him to bring his father to the class. He didn’t do it so was scolded again. Finally we came to know that he didn’t really wanted to bunk but his friend was blackmailing him to go out again and again – on not doing as said, the friend would tell his father.’

Most of them admitted to engage in smoking, drinking, hukkas, and even trying drugs because of their friends. It seemed that for them it was part of life to engage in teasing and harassing girls on streets. With all these examples, peer pressure and its impact on life was explained.

Since we have been engaging on their behaviors constantly that may or may not fall into the categories of topics we deal in respective workshops, few more observations were made. Their constant use of abuses, the way they hit each other on small things – we decided to include these in terms of agreements to be followed in the workshop along with explaining the relevance of same in their real lives.

Secondly, there is this boy who loves singing and has been asking that if he could sing before the session starts or post session. Before he could start singing, other participants started commenting and making fun of him and that made him sad. In spite of this debacle, he sang a beautiful song and enthralled the audience. To be able to do what you like in the space where everyone is judging you it is commendable and show amazing resilience. 


After this, one of the students came up and said that he and the other student used to sing together but then teacher asked him to focus on studies so he left music! But the boy who sang the song came up and said they could get back to singing if the other wants to. This particular set of students have very different energy, they are slowly opening up, it seems that they find it difficult to share their feelings but with each session they are building the courage and are able to trust the space to open their heart! And this makes me so happy that they look forward to the sessions not just because of the things they can learn but also to a space where they can share without feeling judged, ashamed or embarrassed.

No comments:

Post a Comment