Sunday 14 April 2019

Physical changes during adolescence become tools for society to curb freedom from girls?


“My parents told me that I am girl! Hearing this made me very sad because boys can go and play whenever they wish to while we have to do household chores. I was upset because I am girl as grandmother loves my brother more than me. It’s not good to be girl because once we marry; we have to leave our homes while boys live in the same house”


The fact that we are working with two groups of boys and one group of girls at the same time; it has been quite an overwhelming and intense experience considering how being a boy and a girl changes their entire perspective towards life. At the age of 12 years, both of them are able to see the privileges of being a boy and lack of same in case of being a girl. It pains me to see how badly this effects them in so many ways, their responses reflect the agony of gender discrimination and the strong urge to be treated equal or at least let them be who they are! 

Despite various logistics hurdles in the girls school, we had so much fun doing ‘ungli dance’ in the middle of the school where teachers were glaring at us, few parents who were visiting wondered what actually we are trying to teach girls and other students peeking from their class with a glee in their eyes. It was fun when number of girls volunteered to come in middle of the circle to repeat the energizer.



Post this; the participants were divided into groups where they were invited to discuss on the question, “When did they come to know that they are girl or boy for the first time? How did this make them feel?”



“I used to speak like boys, so one day my mother told me that it’s not right, you are a girl and must speak like one”

“I used to play with boys but later someone told me that I am a girl and should be playing with girls and not with boys”

“I used to study in Co-ed school where I used to be with boys most of the time. One day a techer told me that I am a girl and should be spending time with girls”

“I felt sad because I am strong and have attitude like boys and I am very naughty. Being girl forces to let go of this”

“I felt happy because nowadays girls have lot of value.” 




“While growing up, my parents told me that I am a girl and also I started understanding as things were changing around me  like girls are supposed to wear frocks, skirts while boys wear pants and shirts”

“It didn’t really affect me because there are lot other girls in the world. In fact I was happy because now even girls are marching ahead and making their family proud”

“Because of my name, clothes and identity card I came to know that I am a girl”

“I came to know about being a girl on my own because of my name, no one told me as such”

“I used to wear clothes that boys wear long back. Then my dad explained that I am a girl and should wear the clothes that are for girls”




“I felt weird that boys and girls are different. I used to wonder how they are different.”

“When I was a child, I used to roam around a lot then my mom told me that I am a girl and shouldn’t go out that much. It didn’t really bother me”

“The way people address me, from my own sense, private parts, because of my name, clothes that we wear and also the way my body is shaped”

“It didn’t really made sense to me because I was too young and my mind wasn’t too active”


“One day while my mom was making me wear frock, I asked her - can I wear kurta pajyama? She refused immediately stating that I am a girl and I should be wearing frocks.”

“My brother doesn’t let me wear jeans and top because I am a girl”

“My brother puts lot of restrictions on me, always instructs me what to do and what not to do because I am a girl”



Though we really wished to explore the physical aspect of growing up, the sharing in the respective groups indicated gendered realities they encounter every day – how restricted and confused they feel merely because they are girls. At this point, I always wonder, how people conveniently say that world is changing now boys and girls are equal, they are given same opportunities when at every step these young girls are pushed behind because of the shackles of gender norms.


I was very apprehensive as to how would we engage the participants in ‘body map’ activity considering the small classroom and humongous number of participants. However as they say the difficulties either makes you crumble or give you opportunity to grow! We went with latter option and I was stumped as to what we actually created!


The girls created detailed body map, mentioning about private organ but sadly not even 1 out of 55 girls knew the name ‘vagina’ as against the boys ! This is the plight of girls in our society, there is so much fear that if they know the name god knows which volcano will burst and end the world! 


Good things about growing up-


‘Height increases, body becomes flexible, and hairs grow’

‘As we grow, our habits also changes. We become intelligent and our body also changes. We get to learn more about ourselves’

‘Mind becomes active and strong. We are able to understand others’



Bad things about growing up-

‘We get periods that impacts our health. Our stomach aches when we are about to get periods.  I am scared to go out of homes’

‘We get pimples on our face, skin becomes dull and dark. We start sweating more and lot of problems comes when we grow up’

‘The bad thing about growing up is that we can’t stay out late in evenings or night. We can’t do what we want to do’



‘When we grow up, the things that were easily given to us when we were child are not provided. We are not allowed to go out’

‘There are certain body parts that grow in size as part of physical changes which makes us uncomfortable. We get periods and can get pregnant’

‘We become angry, irritated and frustrated because of extra work that is forced upon us’

‘We develop breasts; there are times when there is pain in chest because of the growth’



The sharing in the last part of the activity has set tone for the upcoming workshop on ‘Periods’. While explaining the physical changes in the girls, there are giggles, murmuring and shyness however as conversation progressed- there was pin drop silence and intent listening! The one thing that got stuck in my mind was – while I was packing the workshop materials, one of the girls quickly came to me and started erasing things that were written on the board (vagina, penis and periods)




“Mam, I am erasing this because the boys will be coming and they shouldn’t be seeing this!”

I was shocked as to how a 12 year old had developed this thought process that what we discussed should remain between girls and if boys see this – they would form bad opinion about the girls!  This reaction just cemented our idea that this information is equally important for all adolescents and it’s important to engage in such conversations more to challenge the rudimentary mindsets to build better society.  


No comments:

Post a Comment