Tuesday 13 August 2019

Finding yourself amongst dreams, expectations and hobbies


“I am very funny, never let anyone get bored. I am in search for a huge platform and I wish to become an actor someday.”

Super elated to be back to My Perch where we began our journey at Sahas 3 years ago. Back then we had an idea - a curriculum that was waiting to see the ground and create a space where adolescents can find themselves, ask questions and share their thoughts on their own issues without the fear of being shut down or judged- together we created our first circle so yes it feels great to revisit our roots.

The session on ‘Who am I?’ began with introductions and intention of why we do what we do! This was followed by inviting the participants share their names and one crazy thing they have done and trust me they are one hell of quirky beings-



‘Whenever I am bored, I just start hitting people around me’
‘Nobody knows but I bunked my entire UKG. I spend the time in the nearby park’
‘Once I pranked and made my teacher trip over’
‘I enjoy dancing but my mother doesn’t want me too. But I still practice dancing’
‘I went out with my friends without telling anyone’



‘Didi, there is a teacher in our school who asks about her appearance every day to the students. One day she asked me, I didn’t wish to entertain so I said nothing to her but went to other teacher and appreciated her looks.’

‘I love learning new things so one day I took someone’s bike to ride but then I ramped it over accidently.’



These were some really crazy stuff that they had engaged in but this activity was like an ice breaking session for us.

In the next activity, the participants were asked to create their identity maps – writing things that they associate with themselves. It was a surreal experience hearing them; almost everyone had written that they love coming to My Perch, enjoy singing, dancing, drawing and roaming around. The beautiful aspect was their aspirations – two of them wanted to be IAS officer, one of the wanted to be an astronaut and someone wanted to be an actor.



In the second part of the activity, the ones who shared something in their identity maps were supposed to sit in pairs and the ones who had nothing same were asked to sit separately. On asking how it felt when you shared a common point –

‘I was very happy, because we have something in common, something we both enjoy. We both wrote that if we don’t come to library- we feel lost. The thing if I don’t come here then I would loiter around, waste time but here I engage in learning something new like playing guitar and making friends’  


On asking people who had nothing in common; two different answers were shared-

‘I felt really good because I am unique and different from others’

‘I felt miserable, I hardly speak to people. If there was someone who shared some part with my identity map I would be happy because I won’t feel different and had someone with whom I could talk’


Moving over to the activity where we talk about how our identities change over course of our life – seeing one of the photos, one of the participants said that it is love marriage. Being caught off guard because of the response, I asked why. The participant said, “The girl is smiling that’s why it’s love marriage otherwise either she would be serious or said”

Another important thing that came out in this session was how the participants interpreted the story of girl who holds on to the important values from her adolescence to youth. Two of the participants drew out the patterns of her behavior in the exact manner which depicts the very rare reflective ability – It was very intelligent observation which left us feel stumped once again.

While we were dwelling on ambitions and aspirations, one of the participants enquired, “I wish to become astronaut but somehow my height falls short. I enjoy singing too but my parents want me to become lawyer. In such situation what should I do?”

In the last activity of ‘seeing good in one self’ we explored why it is important for us to be praised by others, self-esteem and can we uplift ourselves without someone’s encouraging words?
‘When I came back from vacation, I was feeling lost and I stopped practicing music too- I wasn’t feeling motivated but them didi said that you are good at it- don’t leave just now. So, I start practicing back’

This activity was an eye opener in many ways. While there were certain high points for example – one of the participants had written 15 good qualities and mentioned 16-20: coming soon; then few of them sharing what they really find good in them with so much enthusiasm that it was infectious. On the another hand gender was strongly reflected when girls end up sharing the qualities which somehow account for ‘qualities needed to be good girls according to societal norms’

At the end, when we asked how was the session? There was a huge roar saying ‘we loved it’. Our heart was exploding with happiness, love and gratitude- this is what we aim with Sahas- Just being yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment