Sunday 26 August 2018

When my brother tied ‘Rakhi’- This Rakshabandan was truly a surprise :-)


I am not much into festivities, unlike childhood they don’t bring much joy to me nowadays because occasions like these means your Whatsapp is flooded with unwanted and irritating messages, pictures and videos or social media sites being epitome of some sparkling joy of celebrations in terms of status updates and may be some random relatives dropping at your home to do small talks or exchange pleasantries. So, I prefer being in casual shirt and shorts and hide somewhere to avoid all the above.

This Rakshabandan however was very different – I didn’t tie rakhi to my brother last year as we had a huge conflict and he was no way capable of ‘protecting me’ rather he was being notorious. But this time he surprised me he supported me by training me rigorously to be healthy so he earned Rakhi from me! While waiting for my another brother, who has been a great support to us in all the hard times, had seen us through highs and lows for past 2 years, I never could imagine the surprise in store for us!

Like the said ritual of the festival all the three sisters (including our cousin) tied rakhi around his wrist. As part of the gift, he handed each of us three white large envelopes, looking at our clueless faces he asked us to open them. As I opened my envelope, a shocked smile formed on my face! It had a rakhi and handmade greeting card.



“It’s not just brothers who protect the sisters. You have been protecting me, supporting me and guiding me all throughout. I respect you and you more than anyone deserves this rakhi.”



I was stunned! Never ever in my whole life has someone surprised me in this beautiful way? Being a feminist, it’s always very difficult to look at social media and world outside celebrating rakhabandan as something that glorifies a man protecting a woman and not say anything about it. Many activists have been saying that brothers should also tie rakhi to their sisters and in all this chaos here was my brother who had this genuine smile and respect for me! I was touched and then I thought world is still not that bad place to live in!

Thank you bhai :-) Wish more people understand the value of festivities as you do !    

No comments:

Post a Comment