Tuesday 14 August 2018

Decoding the mystery of ‘Gender’ with students of Government school


“One day I asked my father to give me some money, at the same time my sister also asked for money. I got the money but my father questioned her as to why she needs money, even when answered my dad gave her very less money”

The fifth session with the adolescent students of Government school, Dwarka divulged deeply on “What does it mean to be a boy or a girl?” as this is the group where gender showed it sign in the very first session of “identity” where few boys refused to take pink sheets stating that it’s a girl’s color. The workshop began once again with a new energizer ‘Banana Dance’, courtesy our team member who is also a dancer! It was so amazing and enticing that I couldn’t stop myself from doing it with the rest of the participants.

This was followed by the revision of last workshop, agreements and context for the current workshop. In the next activity, the participants were asked to pick a chit randomly (which had roles, responsibilities, professions, biological ability) and then they need to decide whether the given task is “mostly done by man” or “mostly done by woman” and accordingly form two lines. It was quite a site to see the line of the man was very huge as compared to woman; being pregnant, doing household chores be it cooking, washing clothes, receptionist came in the woman line. 



In the next step of the same activity: with the same chits they were asked to form three lines – ‘Men’; ‘Women’ and “Both”- from here the actual conversation started, quite evident the line of men decreased and with conversation as to why do you think only men can do it not women, there remained only one person who had chit of ‘beard’ which is obviously not a big asset or gives men any superpower however in women line- there were still two people with chits “being pregnant” and “feeding baby” definitely more important which made boys pause for a while.


For the next part, the participants were divided into groups of 3 and they were invited to share “3 key messages they have received being a boy” in their respective groups, some of them – 


“When I was small, my father told me to keep hairs short, not to wear frock”

“When I was a kid, I really loved my mother’s bangles but my told me not to have them because they should be worn only by girls”

“I was wearing some clothes, my mom stopped me from wearing it saying that these clothes should be worn by girls”

“I was sitting and eating food with girls, then some boys made fun of me saying that you are a boy and you are eating food with girls. I felt bad”

“My father got a doll, I really liked it but it was given to my sister saying that girls play with dolls”

“I was washing my clothes, but my mother told me that boys shouldn’t wash their clothes”

“I was watching a serial on television, seeing that my friends mocked me and said only girls watch serials”



“Once I was cooking food, and then some guests came to our home. They saw me and told me that this work should be done by girls, why don’t you ask your sister to cook food. I don’t ask her because I like cooking. This was the first time I came to know the difference between girls and boys”

“My mother asked me not to wash dishes and let the sister do it because that’s not what boys should do”

“I was told that girls play kabaddi” 


“My parents tell me that I shouldn’t stay in home all the time as girls”

“My dad told me that girls go to their in laws house once they are married while boys stay at their place”

“About a week ago, in my tuition something happened so the teacher slapped the boy. After a while he came to know that it was girl’s mistake, so he said if you were a boy I would have slapped you too”



“I heard my uncle say that girls do commerce because they need to do bank jobs”

“I was in my house doing some work, the same time an aunty came to our home. My mother told her that my son does all the work, however aunty said that all these work should be done by girls and not by boys. From that day, I don’t do household work”

“In my home, girls are not allowed to go to the market”

“Girls are not allowed to roam around with friends”



“In my house, I have heard that girls can’t do anything else than household chores”

“Boys can’t go to last day celebrations of navratre- where only girls are fed”

“boys don’t do makeup, shouldn’t wear pink dresses”

“You are a boy so you should focus on your studies”

“Boys can drive car and bikes”

“You are a boy so you will inherit my property”

“You must have a heavy voice, be louder”



“Why do you walk like girls?”

“Why do you cook food?”

“Boys are sent to private schools while girls are sent to government school”

“Girls are sent to work in societies while boys do better jobs”

“Boys can do whatever fashion they want to but girls can’t”

“I was three years old when I wore my sister’s clothes then my mother told me that I shouldn’t wear such clothes”

“Why have you kept hairs like girls?”



Through the game of Chinese whispers and co-constructing gender story, in which participants enthusiastically participated we engaged on understanding gender, how it affects people and things around them, taking the conversations ahead in terms of challenging gender norms and stereotypes. 


While, co-constructing gender story, a very interesting question came up- How did humans learn to have sex?
 
Post the discussion; the participants were divided into 4 spaces namely home, school, leisure and public spaces where they spend most of their time of the day and were asked to engage on ‘gender differences they see in the mentioned spaces’

Home-
“Boys don’t do household work like cleaning rooms, cooking, washing clothes”
“Boys don’t do make up, don’t wear frocks, can’t keep long hairs and does all the manual work that requires strength whereas girls can’t wear jeans, can’t have facial hairs, should have long hairs”
“Girls can’t go out in night while boys can go whenever they wish to”
“My dad once got everyone ice-cream costing 20 rupees each, we were short of one ice cream so my sister didn’t get one. My dad gave her 10 rupees to buy ice-cream I felt bad”

School-
“Girls have to go to school in the morning while boys go in afternoon”
“Toilets are different for boys and girls”
“Male and female teachers have very different style of teaching”
“We have lot of male teachers but only 2 female teachers”
“Male teachers are very strict while female teachers are caring and loving”
“Girls mostly study home sciences, play indoor games while boys mostly play cricket”
“Boys receive more and strict punishment than girls”
“Boys wear pants while girls wear skirt in school”
“Boys and girls stand or sit in different lines”
“Teachers don’t allow or scold us when boys and girls talk”
“Whenever a girl talks to sir, teachers respond very nicely to them against boys”
“In most of the classes, there are more boys than girls”
“Whenever there is a fight or anything between boys and girls, then teachers always blame boys”


Leisure-
“We can’t talk openly to girls but with boys”
“We hesitate to be friends with girls”
“We feel shy roaming around with girls and not with boys”
“When I was going with a girl to the school, my friends mocked and insulted me”

Public spaces-
“There is a coach and seat reservation in every coach for women in metro”
“We see more of boys in market because girls are not allowed to go outside but boys and girls both need things from the market”
“I have seen that though woman have seats reserved, they sit anywhere and we can’t make them get up but any woman can make us get up from our seats”
“In tuitions, boys are beaten over small mistakes however girls get away with mild scolding”


During one of the discussions in the small group, one of the boys was not writing anything, so one of the facilitator asked “What happened?”

Student: “I don’t see any difference in my home, we all live happily”
Facilitator: “So, how do you come to school?”
Student: “Bike”
Facilitator: “Do you have a sister? If yes, how does she come to school?”
Student: “I do have a sister and I drop her to school on bike.”
Facilitator: “Why do you have bike and you drop her? Imagine if your father brought a vehicle bike or scooty for her and she drops you at school!”

Hearing this, the boy turned pale and was speechless and next we knew he was writing the difference he sees at this home. So, it was a learning experience for us too, that sometimes showing them an alternative reality is all what is needed for the change to begin.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment