Sunday 1 July 2018

The politics of ‘consent’ in the most dangerous country for women?


“I wanted to study further, I loved reading but I had to leave in between because my parents got me married. I had to because my No meant nothing at that time! ”, shared one of the participants.

It has been almost a year involving marathon of gender work with adolescents, police and teachers, because of which “Kadam Mila Kar Chalna Hoga” somehow went on hiatus. This program has always been very close to my heart primarily because through this we engage with the women who live in our neighborhood on the crucial issues of gender and gender based violence, co-create women’s circle where they can share their pain, joy, sorrows and in turn support each other. This has not been really easy path for us because there is so much hostility towards each other in the community resulting in the mistrust among them. The series of movie screening under ‘Kadam Mila Kar Chalna Hoga’ has resulted in progression of the trust and safe space among the women; unfortunately they have found common ground in pain inflicted through their life due to gender norms and stereotypes.

To say I was baffled by the recent global poll (Thompson Reuters Foundation) which states that “India is the world’s most dangerous country for women due to the high risk of sexual violence” was more than an understatement. There is no denying fact that the violence against women is on rise in spite of extensive gender work and laws in India but to be declared as the most dangerous country made me shiver in the worst possible way.


With this challenging scenario, I thought to initiate conversation and build an understanding on “gender based violence and consent” with the women living in the neighborhood of Sahas.

We began the event by sharing about the intention for the day and Sahas in brief. The participants were invited to share their name and one unique quality they have. They struggled to share their qualities, and then ended up saying “they love to cook” or “Helping others”

Then we screened ‘Anaarkali of Aarah’ a 2017 Indian film written and directed by debutant Avinash Das. It’s a story of Anaarkali, who makes a living by performing on double meaning songs in public functions. During one of her stage shows, Anaarkali comes across Vice Chancellor Dharmender Chauhan who molests her in front of thousands of people. This leads to a conflict between the two where Dharmender holding a position of power has an upper hand but Anaarkali refuses to give in to the challenges thrown in her life and instead decides to fight back.

What really intrigued me was, while watching the movie, the participants were motivating, saying encouraging words to Anaarkali, and was making happy noises whenever she takes any action. It somehow made me think that is it because in our real lives, we hardly get to say “No” or don’t actually gather enough courage for ourselves? 


The participants were then invited to share ‘a word or a sentence’ that came to their mind after watching the movie.
“Courage”
“People like VC and Police should be taught a lesson just like this”
“Whatever a woman does, she will always be judged in terms of her choices, the kind of clothes she wears or the profession”
"I don't understand why man can't hear NO from woman? Whatever is her profession, whatever she wears, wherever she goes, she has the right to say No. Unfortunately we are always taught to say Yes and when we say No, it's conveniently ignored"
“Touching her or doing anything to her without her consent is wrong; you can’t touch a woman just because you feel like”
“It was her profession, she was doing it because she liked it and was earning well but that doesn’t give anyone the license to do this”
“I loved the climax of the film and the way she explains NO”
“The mindset of society is so doomed and wrong that they can’t see a woman doing what she wants to”
“The relationship with Rangeela was by her choice but what VC did was against her consent, there is a difference and men tends to ignore it because of their own whimps”


In the next activity, the participants were invited to share “one crucial incident or any decision of their life where they gave consent or their choices were respected”
Unfortunately except for one woman, none of them could recall any such life changing events, it was scary because all of them have what society says a well settled life- married, with kids, regular income etc!! 

The next question “one crucial incident or any decision of their life when their NO was not heard” Sadly, all hands shot up
“I wanted to study and become teacher but my parents got my marriage fixed. I didn’t want to marry but my NO was royally ignored”
“I was a very enthusiastic kid, I wanted to play games professionally, I was into theatre and dancing but my journey was cut short, because I had come to the ripe age of marriage”
“I wanted to learn music, but my dad denied saying that girls shouldn’t sing”
“Marriage is all I can think of because it was an important decision and I was not even asked about it”
“Even now, in household decisions, I hardly think woman’s consent or NO matters”
Taking cue from the film and discussion with the participants, gender, gender based violence, gravity of the situation and how important is the consent was elaborated.


An interesting conversation happened over the difference of age between boys and girls during marriage.
“I never wanted my son to marry that girl, she was 8 years older. But then, he loved her so I had no choice” said one of the participant.
Before I could say anything, another participant replied, “But earlier men used to be so much older than girls like every men at the time of marriage but nobody objected and now also no one objects so why do that with girls?”
“I feel nowadays the age difference hardly matters, it’s about love and compatibility. I got my daughter married for the second time, no one was agreeing but I wanted my daughter to be happy. That was all that matter”

Just before closing, one of the elderly woman said, “If you don’t mind I want to suggest you something like my daughter. Your voice is too loud, girls shouldn’t fight like that. You should tone down” I had a known smirk on my face and I was about to say something because this was a prospective discussion but then another participant interrupted
“But why would you tell her to tone down, this is her work. She goes to various places, talk about violence and if she hesitates to even raise voice than that would be contradict her own work.”

And then i could just smile because this is more than what I can hope for in just 3 hours <3

No comments:

Post a Comment